Requiem in Venice
The vampiric domain of Venice consists of the island of Venice, islands in the surrounding lagoon and urban areas on the mainland.
1.5 kilometers north of Venice proper, this smaller island features a similar system of canals and renaissance architecture. Murano’s reputation as a center for glassmaking was born when the Venetian Republic, fearing fire and the destruction of the city’s mostly wooden buildings, ordered glassmakers to move their foundries to Murano in 1291.
Just northeast of Venice, San Michele is an island with a Roman Catholic church and the cemetery of the city. The church was rebuilt from 1469 onwards and is dedicated to Saint Michael, the holder of the scales on Judgement Day.
Lido is an 11-kilometre (7-mile) long sandbar separating the Venice Lagoon from the Adriatic Sea. It is home to about 20,000 residents. The Venice Film Festival takes place at the Lido every September.
Marghera & Mestre
Marghera is a major shipping port and industrial area on the mainland. Mestre is a nearby town. Because of its industry Marghera was targeted by the Allies for bombing during World War 2.
There is no vehicle traffic on the islands of Venice, Murano and San Michele. All traffic is by foot or by canal. There is road and train access to Venice from the mainland, but only limited parking on the island itself.
The buildings are crowded with narrow cobbled walkways crossing and paralleling the canals of the island.